Posted on May 28th, 2014 by Schmidt Mechanical Group
A question Schmidt Mechanical Group often receives is whether or not it is necessary for the outdoor AC unit to be covered. There are pros and cons to this answer. Take a look at the following to help you make a decision. If you’re still unsure whether or not your AC unit should be covered, contact Schmidt Mechanical Group. We’ll analyze the system and give you the proper guidance.
Pros of a cover:
- A cover protects the paint on the unit.
- A cover prevents the rain, snow, ice, and other precipitation from entering the unit.
- A cover prevents leaves and branches from getting caught in the unit.
Cons of a cover:
- A cover can allow condensation to build and moisture to become trapped. As a result the machine will rust.
- The mildew developed from a cover can damage the unit.
- A cover can create a home for insects and other animals seeking shelter.
There are alternatives to a cover. For example, placing a sheet of plywood over the top of the unit can get the job done, although the look is not as “pretty”. Some of our customers even go as far as the build a wooden box around the unit, giving it a modern, more appealing look.
Schmidt Mechanical Group is happy to provide the highest quality of service to our customers.
Schmidt Mechanical is a full service residential and commercial A/C, heating, and refrigeration company. Our highly trained technicians are licensed to perform the necessary services to keep you feeling comfortable in your home all year round. For more information on our services, or to speak with a representative, visit our website. Schmidt Mechanical is LIVE on social media. Connecting with us has never been so easy! Like us on Facebook, FOLLOW us on Twitter and Connect with us on Google+ to keep up with the latest home improvement tips.
Photo source: houzz.com