Posted on May 13th, 2014 by Schmidt Mechanical Group
Is your air conditioning compressor bothering you and your neighbors with excessive noise? In a central air conditioning system, the nosiest part is the compressor, located underneath the fan. The next nosiest part is the fan itself. Newer units contain a quieter fan so most of the noise will come from the compressor. When a compressor kicks on, mechanical noise is generated which very often bounces off of the house and heads straight for your neighbors window. The following tips will help fix your noisy air conditioner.
- Has the unit always been loud? If your AC seems to have gotten more noisy it likely has a mechanical problem that needs fixing. Contact Schmidt Mechanical to have your system evaluated.
- If the unit has always been noisy, you will need to consider some noise-mitigation solutions.
- Use a sound blanket. Insulate the housing of the unit with the soundproof blanket. Don’t skimp on merchandise. Buy the real thing and install as directed.
- Add anti-vibration pads under the feet of the unit. This will help reduce the vibration between the unit and the concrete underneath.
- Have a soft start controller installed on the unit. This device will reduce the startup blast of electrical power.
- Consider building an enclosure around the unit to deflect the noise. Be sure to leave ample room for the air to circulate.
- Purchase a newer model. Schmidt Mechanical offers high quality units! Contact us to learn more!
Learn more about your noise cancelling options here.
Schmidt Mechanical Group is happy to provide the highest quality of service to our customers.
Schmidt Mechanical is a full service residential and commercial A/C, heating, and refrigeration company. Our highly trained technicians are licensed to perform the necessary services to keep you feeling comfortable in your home all year round. For more information on our services, or to speak with a representative, visit our website. Schmidt Mechanical is LIVE on social media. Connecting with us has never been so easy! Like us on Facebook, FOLLOW us on Twitter and Connect with us on Google+ to keep up with the latest home improvement tips.