AC & Heater Repair in San Antonio

Dealing with a Broken HVAC Unit as a Tenant

If your HVAC system is broken as a homeowner, what do you do? You’d typically just pick up the phone and call an HVAC technician to come and restore the unit. But what if you’re a tenant?

Tenants face a slightly different situation when it comes to non-working or broken HVAC systems. Here’s what you need to know:

Air conditioning is not typically a required living standard that landlords need to provide to their tenants. Therefore, they might not be legally bound to have your AC fixed in a timely manner or to cover the costs. Heat, on the other hand, is considered a basic standard along with potable water, electricity and sewage removal.

Withholding rent is not a viable solution to unfixed HVAC units unless advanced notice of rent withholding is given, as well as a reasonable amount of time for the repair to be made. This is, of course, dependent upon the state in which you’re renting.

You can have the cost of hiring an HVAC technician yourself reimbursed through civil actions or through deductions in upcoming rent payments. This is again contingent upon the state’s landlord-tenant law and can only be provided if the tenant can prove the landlord was notified about the repairs and signed a certified letter or document.

Are you a tenant or landlord in need of HVAC repairs in San Antonio or the surrounding area. Give Schmidt Mechanical a call at (210) 361-7002.